Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Recommended Veggie Dish: Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables

Photo from http://www.joanne-eatswellwithothers.com

The first vegetarian dish that I made was one I adapted from a recipe off the "Eats Well With Others" blog found here.  It was absolutely delicious and now I make it at least twice a month.

I don't measure when it comes to recipes; I basically used her recipe that I linked to as a base, adding to and taking away to fit my tastes.

I cut up one green pepper, one red pepper, one zucchini, one onion, and one tomato, coated lightly with olive oil and tossed with herbs (I used a "Country Herb" grinder from Aldi's) a little salt and a sprinkle of garlic powder.  Then I sprayed a baking sheet lightly with PAM (I hate when things stick, so I take no chances!), spread out the veggies in a single layer, and roasted in a 450 degree oven for about 20-25min.

When the veggies have about 5-10min left I start heating up the sauce.  I tend to always use Newman's Own Organic Tomato & Basil, as it's my favorite ever.  Once the sauce is bubbling I will kick it down to a low simmer, adding a bit of freshly grated cheese (mozzarella, parmesan, asiago, whatever I happen to have on hand), and then when the veggies are done I'll throw those in to the sauce.  Make sure to sample a few pieces before putting all into the sauce.... Roasted veggies are super yum!

While the sauce is on a low simmer, melding all the flavors together, I will cook the pasta.  Serve with a nice red wine and maybe some homemade garlic bread and you're good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment